Yes, I was a little wordy on part one. Just in case you did not have the time to read the entire post I thought I would sum it up with a few key points on why I am most passionate about MOVEMENT.
1. Find something you enjoy.Even though you may not first succeed at finding something you love that keeps you moving, keep trying. There are many different sports and activities, you are bound to find something you love at any age.
2. Have an open mind. If your son/daughter come home excited telling you they want to try out for something at school or with an organization, encourage them and keep an open mind. Just because it does not sound like something you would like does not mean they will not like it.
3.Expect some discomfort. It’s more rewarding to be sore from what you do than be sore from what you did not do.
4. Be a role model. Do not preach to your children to go outside and play when you sit on your laptop while watching television for hours a day. Kids learn from watching others.
5. Being a parent brings responsibility. Some may laugh at this statement but….as my husband says, I am a little spicy so I am just going to say it! You were ok when your heart rate was elevated conceiving your child, you will also be ok when you raise your heart rate playing with your child. Until they are old enough to do this themselves, it is your responsibility as a parent to keep them active and healthy.
6. Movement is cheap. Before running to the clinic for the newest greatest treatment, pill, cream, injection or therapy, try moving. It is much cheaper than seeking medical care for your aches and pains.
7. You are never to old to move. Nursing homes offer active time for their residents, why can’t you be active?
8. It is never too late. The damage is not done! I had someone tell me this once and I wanted to scream. Don’t ever think this is true, it is never too late!!!
****Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor of any kind. Everything I have told you here is basic knowledge. Something that we all know is true but we don’t like to hear.
If you have a medical condition or concern please clear anything you wish to try with your medical doctor before trying it.
Do you have something you are passionate about?